Sale: 533 / Modern Art Day Sale and Gerlinger Collection, Dec. 10. 2022 in Munich Lot 426

 

426
Erich Heckel
Plakat der Eröffnung der Hofkunsthandlung C. G. Oncken in Lappan, Oldenburg, 1909.
Woodcut
Estimate:
€ 10,000 / $ 11,000
Sold:
€ 12,500 / $ 13,750

(incl. surcharge)
Plakat der Eröffnung der Hofkunsthandlung C. G. Oncken in Lappan, Oldenburg. 1909.
Woodcut.
Ebner/Gabelmann 349 H A (of C). Dube H 172. Signed and inscribed. Monogrammed in printing block. On poster paper. 84 x 59.8 cm (33 x 23.5 in). Sheet: 93,4 x 62,5 cm (36,7 x 24,6 in).
Laid on paper.
The printing block is in possession of the Landesmuseum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte in Oldenburg. [EH].
• The Lappan is an Oldenburg landmark.
• Unusually large woodcut depiction.
• One of the most popular "Brücke" posters.
• Other first state copies from 1908 are in possession of the Brücke-Museum Berlin, the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe in Hamburg, the Landesmuseum Oldenburg and in the artist's estate
.

PROVENANCE: Collection Hermann Gerlinger, Würzburg (with the collector's stamp Lugt 6032).

EXHIBITION: Schleswig-Holsteinisches Landesmuseum Schloss Gottorf, Schleswig (permanent loan from the Collection Hermann Gerlinger, 1995-2001).
Kunstmuseum Moritzburg, Halle an der Saale (permanent loan from the Collection Hermann Gerlinger, 2001-2017).
Buchheim Museum, Bernried (permanent loan from the Collection Hermann Gerlinger, 2017-2022).

LITERATURE: Heinz Spielmann (ed.), Die Maler der Brücke. Sammlung Hermann Gerlinger, Stuttgart 1995, p.110, SHG no. 62.
Hermann Gerlinger, Katja Schneider (eds.), Die Maler der Brücke. Inventory catalog Collection Hermann Gerlinger, Halle (Saale), 2005, p. 160, SHG no. 360.

Dangast, the fishing village and North Sea resort on the Jade Bay, was discovered by the "Brücke" members Karl Schmidt-Rottluff and Erich Heckel as a summer resort, retreat and source of inspiration in 1907. Until 1912, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, Erich Heckel and occasionally Max Pechstein stayed in Dangast time and again and had friends and collectors from Hamburg, among them Rosa Schapire and Wilhelm Niemeyer, visiting them. In 1908, Schmidt-Rottluff and Heckel presented works created in Dangast in a legendary and much disputed exhibition at the Kunstverein, then housed in Oldenburg's Augusteum, about which the young court councillor Ernst Beyersdorff, a passive member since 1909, rhapsodized anonymously in the 'Oldenburger Nachrichten': "They are a liberating phenomenon for our Oldenburg art life! Both are still young and in their rebellious period. There is no laborious search, no smallness in taste, wherever you look, you see great things." (https://www.landesmuseum-ol.de/sammlungen/ueberblick-sammlungen/neue-meister/ maler-der-brucke-in-dangast.html).
For the Oldenburg art dealer Carl G. Oncken, this exhibition probably meant just as much a discovery; in 1910 he asked Heckel to design a poster for the reopening of his art shop in the picturesque tower with the historical name "Lappan". The striking bell tower was built in 1468 as the tower of Oldenburg's former Heiliggeistspital and was the city's first church tower. "Lapp-an" is how the vernacular first referred to the architecture "angelappt" (Low German for "patched on") to the chapel. In 1909, the Lappan was restored and given a new use as a commercial, residential and exhibition building with the Carl G. Oncken Art Shop (founded as the Court Art Shop in 1867). In the first exhibition in the Lappan, Oncken still showed works by Max Liebermann, to then also show works by Erich Heckel.
With his poster, which shows the tower, its urban environment, its name "LAPPAN" and its use in a striking way, Heckel created a brand for the art dealer. And Heckel chose the woodcut once again and was able to, in addition to the design of different fonts, clearly emphasize the striking motif of the tower in relation to its surroundings: the recessed white of the tower with the black of its roof against the almost pure area of the sky. [MvL]



426
Erich Heckel
Plakat der Eröffnung der Hofkunsthandlung C. G. Oncken in Lappan, Oldenburg, 1909.
Woodcut
Estimate:
€ 10,000 / $ 11,000
Sold:
€ 12,500 / $ 13,750

(incl. surcharge)