Oil on canvas Inscribed "K. MILLNER" in left. 76,5 x 111,5 cm (30,1 x 43,8 in)
PROVENANCE: According to consigner: Franz Ferdinand Waller, royal county physician (1823-1881), was enrolled at the faculty of medicine and philosophy at the Munich university from 1844 to 1851 and was a friend of Carl Millner. This painting was a wedding gift Millner gave to Dr. Waller and his wife Anna Maria von Thoma, the previous owner's great grandparent on 5 June, 1851. Ever since the painting has been in private southern German ownership.
Millner moved to Munich in 1851 and studied painting under Julius Lange as of 1858. Time and again he traveled to the Alps where he found motifs for his paintings. With a great love for the detail he painted panoramic views of the mountains that are characterized by a poised use of light and shade contrasts. [CB].