* 1889 Berlin
† 1972 Berlin
The architect and furniture designer Wassili Luckhardt attended the Technische Hochschule in Berlin from 1908-1910. Like his brother Hans, Wassili Luckhardt belonged to several groups of artists up to 1920, including the Workers' Art Council, the November Group, and The Ring. In 1919/20 Wassili Luckhardt was involved with the Glass Chain, einem correspondence started by Bruno Traut, also engaged in by the architects Max Taut, Hermann Finsterlin, Paul Goesch, Wenzel Hablik, Hans Hansen, Hans Scharoun, and Wassili's brother Hans. In 1921 Hans and Wassili Luckhardt founded a joint architectural practice in Berlin. Their early buildings, such as the Deutsches Hygiene Museum in Berlin (1921) were obviously influenced by Expressionism but from 1925 Wassili Luckhardt and his brother adopted a more rationalist style of architecture, which also shows up in the furniture they designed. The Luckhardt brothers' most important architectural projects in Berlin include the row houses on Schorlemer Allee (1925-1930), Haus Telschow (1928/29), and a redesign of Alexanderplatz (project, 1929). In 1951 Hans and Wassili Luckhardt designed the Berlin Pavilion at the Constructa trade fair in Hannover. With Hans, Wassili Luckhardt designed the "ST 14" standardized tubular steel chair in 1929. Slightly modified, the "ST 14" resurfaced not long afterwards as the "S 36", which was designed as furniture for the Desta House at the 1931 "Deutsche Bauausstellung" 1931 in Berlin. In 1955 Wassili Luckhardt was a founding member of the architecture department at the Akademie der Künste in Berlin.