* 1933 Germersheim
† 2004 Baierbrunn
Lothar Fischer studied from 1952 on at the Kunstakademie in Munich, where he concentrated on sculpture after only one year and was supported by Prof. Heinrich Kirchner. When Fischer exhibited informal works with Prem, Sturm and Zimmer at the Alter Botanischer Garten in Munich, he triggered a storm of indignation amongst art fans and critics. But this did not keep him from pursuing his ideas in an even closer collaboration with the three artists he was friends with: the group "Spur" was founded. Fischer was the only sculptor among the members of "Spur" and developed his objects, analogous to the painters, out of an informal impetus. He displayed highly developed technical skills, which he owed not least to the intensive studies of his role models, e.g. Marini or Stadler. The first half of the 1960s was characterised by seemingly playful works like multi-coloured goblins, ships for horsemen and architectural fantasies. After a short and not very productive membership in the group "Geflecht" Fischer was temporarily interested in elements of pop-art in 1968, which had an effect on Fischer's work in the form of huge sculptures of oversized tooth-paste tubes. In 1969 Fischer invented the so-called "Hüllenplastiken", a system of several wrappings that also integrated the room. Fischer viewed man as a creature which was so complicated that he did not want to depict it directly, but rather created the cover under which one had to imagine the body. The human body, especially the female in many variations, can be identified as an ever-recurring topic in the sculptor's complete works. From 1975 to 1997 Fischer held a chair at the Hochschule der Künste in Berlin. The artist, who died in 2004, received numerous awards, et al. the art prize Schwabing in 1967, the 'Förderpreis für Bildhauerei ' of the city of Munich in 1971 and the art prize of Rhineland-Palatinate in 1990. Lothar Fischer is regarded as one of the most important artists of contemporary art working figuratively. His works are shown in public places and many collections of German museums.