Ketterer Kunst Logo

Search Lots

The international auction house for buying and selling of
Guido Ubaldo Abbatini

Biographies
Guido Ubaldo Abbatini

*  1600 Città di Castello
† 1656 Rom


Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) was born in Città di Castello in Umbria at the turn of the 16th/17th century. Still a young boy, Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) began an apprenticeship with Giuseppe Cesare (called Cavaliere d'Arpino) in Rome, where the young painter was much more impressed by the baroque art of Pietro da Cortona than by his teacher’s style.
In Rome Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) also had his most significant encounter: He met Gianlorenzo Bernini, the grandmaster of Italian baroque, with whom he would stay in contact for the rest of his life. As of 1623 Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) was the assistant of Bernini. For Gianlorenzo Bernini, Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) also made stage decorations and architectural drawings in oil.
Regardless of this activity, Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) also made numerous panel paintings and frescoes between 1630 and the middle of the century. In 1654 he executed murals by the commission of cardinal Fausto Poli in S. Fortunato in Poggioprimocaso, Umbria.
Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) developed his artistic talents, but by far not only as painter and fresco maker, but also in mosaic art. He contributed, for instance, to the mosaics of St. Peter in Rome. In 1649 Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) was commissioned to execute the renovation of the Navicella in the vestibule of St. Peter. After models by Pietro da Cortonas, Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) created a mosaic frieze in the cupola of the Saint Sebastian chapel as of 1654.
Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) was also active as portraitist (portrait of Urban VIII. in the Galleria Nazionale, Rome), many his paintings were also spread as reproductions.
In 1656 Guido Ubaldo Abbatini (Guidobaldo Abbatini) died in Rome.