* 1882 Brighton
† 1940 London
The typographer Eric Gill was both a sculptor and typographer, first known for the typefaces he designed: Perpetua (1929/30) and Gill Sans (1927-1930). Eric Gill attended art college in Chichester before continuing his studies in London at the Central School of Arts and Crafts, where he studied calligraphy under Edward Johnston. In 1913 Eric Gill converted to Catholicism. Between 1913 and 1918, Eric Gill prodced fourteen reliefs as scenes for the Stations of the Cross in Westminster Cathedral in London. In 1918 Eric Gill co-founded the Guild of St Joseph and St Dominic, a religious craftsmen's community. In 1920 Eric Gill was a co-founder of the Society of Wood Engravers. From 1924 Eric Gill designed book layouts. Eric Gill had his own printing press at Speen, Buckinghamshire, from 1928. Eric Gill received commissions from bibliophile publishers such as Golden Cockerel Press, the Cranach-Presse in Weimar, Leipzig publishers Faber & Faber, J.M. Dent & Sons, and the Limited Editions Club (established in 1929). As prolific as he was versatile, Eric Gill produced a great many book illustrations, woodcuts, graphic designs, and watercolors, which are mainly devotional in content.